Friday, November 7, 2008

Carlie on Politics


For those of you who weren't sure, Matt and I were rooting for McCain this time around. Carlie was running around the living room Tuesday night shouting: Go McCain! Go McCain! (since it's hard for her to say McCain- especially when she's tired, she finally stopped and said: "Mom, can I just call him John?" I didn't even know she knew his first name! I told her sure, no problem. Later that night as Obama appeared on TV for his acceptance speech, I enthusiastically called for Alex and Carlie to see the historic event. As much as I wanted the other guy, it was still pretty cool that we elected the first "black" American to be president. Someday they could tell their kids they were there and witnessed it all. Carlie came down the stairs and didn't hear a word, just saw Obama's face on the TV and gave a BIG sigh. She moaned, "oh no! Did Obama win?" I told her yes, she asked why? I explained that lots of people like him and think he will do a good job. That was the end of our political discussion.
(Three days later.....)
This morning I was in the kitchen when Carlie came over and said:

"Mom, did you hear what Obama said today?"

I said: "no, what did he say?"

Carlie: "He said to give your money to your neighbor." Long dramatic pause goes here........ then with much emphasis and enthusiasm: "Don't do it! Don't listen to him mom!"


I really do not know where that came from! We haven't mentioned anything regarding the elections since Tuesday night. She must have been dreaming about it or something. Anyway, it was pretty funny!
Side political note for Carlie:
When Carlie was just about 18 months old and could barely talk she saw a picture of President Bush on a calendar. (It was hanging on our refrigerator) He was at a party - acceptance party maybe? Anyway he was smiling and had balloons in the background- there were several other people in the picture with him, all smiling. I was holding her when she looked at the refrigerator and said "monster!" I thought she saw a bug, or thought there was a monster in the frige, so I said no honey there's no monster. She insisted saying "see, see?" and pointing. I took her over to show her, and she put her finger RIGHT ON BUSH! all the time saying "monster mom, monster" Remember there were other people in the picture too, and everyone was having a good time. Matt and I were not Bush fans, but we'd never said he was a monster or anything like that. And, we'd never shown her a picture of him, or watched the news with her. I still don't know where that all came from!

1 comment:

Bray said...

I lost my link to your blog so I have been looking for it and just found it again today. I will add it to my favorites so I don't loose it again. I love reading it!! Cute post. My daughters have had arguments with friends at school about politics. I have had to tell them to ease off. I get to worked up about it at home and then they take it to the streets....oops.